Sunday September 22nd 2019 – Ladies Club Closing
On Sunday, September 22, the Comox ladies golf club had their last day of organized golf, which took place in the form of a scramble. The day started with rain but it cleared for most of the afternoon. A delicious dinner was served by Red’s Kitchen.
Four trophies were presented.
1. Most improved golfer from April to September -Yvonne Higgs
2. Brown Trophy – this was presented by Mrs. Walter Brown in 1941 as a Consolation round for the Club Championship. Losers in the first round of the Championship dropped down to the Brown Trophy. This continues as a match play handicap competition.
1st winner: Sara Smith, 2nd place: Nancy Newton, 3rd place: Anne Patterson.
3. Francis Trophy – presented by Francis Jewellers of Victoria in 1954. It was a 3rd round to the Club Championship, and originally losers from the Brown Trophy dropped down to the Francis Trophy. It is a match play competition open to all members with established handicaps.
1st winner: Anne Patterson, 2nd place: Pat Belanger, 3rd place: Sue Leakey, 4th place: Phyllis Taylor.
4. Fairbairn trophy – presented by Mrs. Fairbairn in 1973. It is another of our handicap competitions open to all members with established handicaps. Originally losers in the 1st round of the Brown Cup dropped down to the Fairbairn Trophy.
1st winner: Phyllis Taylor, 2nd place Pat Schmidt, 3rd place Pat Everett.
September 19th 2019 – Thursday Ladies Closing
- Low gross winner Nancy Riva. 42
- Low net winner Pat Belanger. 35
- Fewest #putts. Nancy Riva. 13
- Longest putt #3 hole. Sue Leakey
- Longest putt #8 hole. Jacynthe Tremblay
- Chip ins Patti Harris
August 24/25 2019 Ladies Club Championship
- Championship Low gross winner Lorelei Banford 186 Low net winner Phyllis Taylor 142
- Flight one Low gross Pat Everett 187 Low net Carmen DeWinter 149
- Flight two Low gross Katy Doran 193 Low net Grace Coulter 151
- Flight three Low gross Barb Buchanan 208 Low net Sue Piper 144
August 6th 2019 Florence Filberg Memorial Trophy
Florence Filberg Memorial trophy winner Grace Coulter on the left being presented with the trophy by Kathy Branch, our Club Captain. This trophy is awarded to the player, aged 50 and over, with the lowest net score. This is a one-day field event competition, open to all members aged 50 and over, who have an established handicap. The trophy was donated by Bob Filberg in 1960 in memory of his wife. The inscription on the bottom of the trophy reads “This trophy is In honour of a lovely lady who enjoyed golf at Comox. Please keep it carefully. August 1960.
August 6th 2019 Marian Yoemans Putting Plaque
Sue Leakey on the left and Karen Vanetta middle (tied with a score of 30) are being presented the Marian Yoemans Putting Plaque by Kathy Branch, the club captain. This plaque is awarded to the player with the fewest putts, and this competition is held in conjunction with the Florence Filberg competition. There is no age stipulation for this plaque. It was donated to the club in 1994 by Marian’s husband and her daughter, Pam Wonnacott. Marian is remembered playing her last game of golf (about two months prior to her death) on Florence Filberg Day in 1993, using her little pink putter.
July 16th 2019 – Sara Smith and Jacynthe Tremblay win the McQuinn Cup
This trophy competition originated in 1967, created by Mrs. Goldie McQuinn, whose home was located where Fairway Place now stands. At the time there were very few competitions with other clubs and no ladies 2 ball. Originally the McQuinn Cup was a match play competition played in the Fall, now it is a handicap field event played in July. The McQuinn cup is open to all members with an established handicap. The person with the highest handicap is paired with the person with the lowest handicap and so on until the teams are complete. The team handicap is half the combined handicap of the two players. The lowest handicap person tees off on the odd numbered holes. The highest handicap person tees off on the even numbered holes. Shots are alternated until the ball is holed.
- Winning team – Sara Smith and Jacynthe Tremblay
- 2nd low net – Nancy Newton/Linda Verdenhalven 75
- 3rd low net – Karen Vanetta/Pat Belanger. 75.5
- Longest putt 3/12 – Louise Luster/Anne Patterson
- Longest putt 8/17 – Louise Luster/Anne Patterson
- Chip ins – Nancy Newton/Linda Verdenhalven
June 4th 2019 – Doris Ellis is the Dorothy Olive Franklin champion for the Comox Golf Club
The Comox Golf Tuesday morning ladies participated in this tournament for the Dorothy Olive Franklin champion June 4th 2019. The annual provincial tournament is to commemorate Dorothy’s contribution to golf at the club, provincial and national levels. Proceeds are used to send promising junior golfers to out-of-province and international competitions. The format is Low Net Differential. Doris won with a net score of 65.
Doris will represent the CGC at the zone 6 (North Island) Champion of Champion Tournament in 2020.
Low gross was Lorelei Banford
Fewest number putts Lorelei Banford
Longest putt No. 3 won by Pat Belanger
Longest putt no. 8 won by Sharon Crowe
Chip ins: Doris Ellis, Jean Kirby, Patti Harris
Left is Kathy Branch ladies Captain and right is Doris Ellis.
Sunday May 12th 2019 – Ladies North Island Tournament
Christina Proteau, Alberni Golf Club low gross 77; centre Kathy branch, Comox Ladies captain; right, Marie McCooey representing Royal LePage
Marie McCooey representing Royal Lepage, centre Donna Giannakos, Winchelsea Golf Club, Lantzville, net score 65; right Kathy Branch, Ladies captain.
The Comox Ladies North Island Tournament, sponsored by Greg Hart from Royal Le Page, was held Mother’s Day, May 12, 2019.
This was the 60th Anniversay Tournament and is considered a milestone for golf in the Comox Valley and the Comox Golf Course. A 9:00 am shotgun start began the day. A delicious dinner prepared by the restaurant, Red’s Place, followed the tournament.
The winners are:
Low Gross. – Christina Proteau, Alberni Golf Course with a 77
Low Net – Donna Giannakos, Winchelsea Golf Club, Lantzville, with a 65
1 low gross Shelley Stouffer, Fairwinds. 81
2 low gross. Georgina Hermans, Cottonwood. 81
3 low gross. Holly Sanders, Glacier Greens. 81
4 low gross. Josee DesLauries, Morningstar. 82
5 low gross. Karen Kloske, March Meadows. 82
1 low net. Patti Harris, Comox golf course. 67
2 low net. Sue Powers, Glacier Greens. 70
3 low net. Val Dingwall, Crown Isle. 72
4 low net. Sally Dobler, Morningstar. 72
5 low net. Karen Vanetta, Comox golf course. 72